Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Me & The Peanut Butter Jar



"You can't out-exercise a bad diet."

We've all heard this one.  And it's true--you can't.
Oh, yeah, once-upon-a-time, perhaps in your teenage years, when it was all Doritos, grilled cheese sandwiches and Sonic Happy Hour, sure.  The metabolism was like jet fuel--pure octane and jacked-up past the speed of sound.  Late night pizza?  Sure.  Batch of chocolate chip cookies at 2 am?  Sounds good.  Burger & fries twice a day?  Uh, yeah?

Yeah.  Those days are O-V-E-R.  At least for me, anyway.

So, I'm trying to eat cleaner, healthier & smarter, now.  Good carbs, good grains, and lots of protein.   Fruits, veggies, lean meats, nuts--healthy, right?  Good for me, right?  Right.

BUT.

 Nine pm rolls around.  That's a really hard time for me.  'Cause one of my favorite things to do about 9 pm, is to read.  It's usually quiet, I'm tired, and I finally feel like it's okay to sit down and relax a little while before I go to bed.  Wash my face, don my ugliest, most comfortable pajamas on, snuggle into my corner of the couch with a Diet Coke over ice & Stephen King novel & just fall into that book.  Yep.  That's a little slice of heaven right there....especially when I have a jar of peanut butter and a spoon to go with that book.  You know, you'd be surprised how much peanut butter you can consume in 10 or so chapters.  And that stuff doesn't come cheap--it's about 90 calories & 8 grams of fat per tablespoon.  Depending on your reading speed, that could get real serious, real quick.

So, I had to break up with my peanut butter.  I assured it, "it isn't you, it's me.  You're great & you're wonderful, and I will always, always love you.  We just need some time away from each other right now.  I hope that we can still be friends."

I think it took it very well.

Me?  I just can't talk about it, right now.  Maybe someday.  But not now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment