Saturday, August 15, 2015

11 mile bike ride

This is what actually gave me the triathlon idea! The bike ride! We have a Rail to Trails trail nearby called the Tanglefoot Trail. It's a total of about 40 miles end to end (New Albany to Houston). I decided to see how far I could go on my granny bike. On my first try I rode 4 miles and turned around for a total of 8 miles. It wasn't very fun. Then a friend of mine from junior high messaged me to say that she rode bikes 2-3 times a week and would I like to join her. I did and we made it to the "whistlestop" in the little town of Ingomar - about 12 miles round trip. That was fun. But exhausting. 
I have learned that I absolutely must get a hybrid bike or a road bike if I'm going to get anywhere with this leg of the training. I am saving for a hybrid but may get a cheaper road bike. I don't know yet. 
This week I timed myself and I rode about 6 miles in 40 minutes. To do the race I would have to about double that distance in 40 minutes. I am anxious to see how much a bike with gears helps. 
In the meantime, I love my bike route. It's beautiful and peaceful ...... And unfortunately hilly. 

1 comment: